Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Self-reference Again

Just some sentences I've culled from this KW Regan post over at RJ Lipton's blog:

http://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2011/07/23/self-defeating-sentences/

(The post once again deals with self-reference, beginning with what the poster calls "self-defeating sentences" but moving on to some other categories as well.)

"Anyone who goes to a psychoanalyst should have his head examined."

"None of my close friends has a close acquaintance."

"Ignore this sign."

"Never say 'never.' ”

"Whether you mean it or not, be sincere!"

"I saw him do it when no one was looking."

"Words are incapable of describing what I am about to tell you."

"No one goes there anymore; it’s too crowded. "

"We Scorpios don’t believe in astrology."

"Avoid clichés like the plague."

"Don’t use no double negatives."

"A preposition is something a sentence should never be ended with."

"Can I ask you a question?"


And going back to my Monday post, I may as well throw this sentence into the mix as well:

“Only idiots believe this sentence.”

No comments: