Saturday, October 2, 2010

Book Compendium

By way of review, just a list of some of the books I've mentioned favorably in the last month or so, in no particular order; some older, some new (some I've read myself, some I've only read reviews of):

"The Lifebox, the Seashell, and the Soul" by Rudy Rucker

"Meta Math" by Gregory Chaitin

"Mathematical Fallacies and Paradoxes" by Bryan Bunch

"The Calculus Lifesaver" by Adrian Banner

"The P = NP Question and Gödel’s Lost Letter" by RJ Lipton

"The Shape of Inner Space" by Shing-Tung Yau

"Proofiness: The Dark Arts of Mathematical Deception" by Charles Seife

"Everything and More" by David Foster Wallace

"Group Theory In the Bedroom, and Other Mathematical Diversions" by Brian Hayes

 "Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's Life in Science" (forthcoming) by Lawrence Krauss

"Loving and Hating Mathematics: Challenging the Myths of Mathematical Life"(forthcoming) by Reuben Hersh and Vera John-Steiner

...and I'll throw in one additional book that I haven't seen myself, but Sol over at WildAboutMath is strongly recommending:

 "The Mystery of the Prime Numbers" by Matthew Watkins

No comments: